Welcome to our forum!

Do you want to become a member of our community? Join our forums now!

Register
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by GeoGamerLP, Jan 9, 2016.

?

Should a chatlog be implemented?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2016.
  1. Yes, and screenshots shouldn't count as vaild proof anymore then.

15.4%
  2. Yes, but screenshots should still count as valid proof. (Write reason)

15.4%
  3. No.I don't like this idea. (Reason)

69.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeoGamerLP Stone Miner DRC Veteran

----------------------------------------
    Introduction:

Hey guys,
    I have a new suggestion for the server. This will take a lot of time and effort to code this, but let's start:

Explanation:

The idea is simple: You (everyone) should be able to create chatlog of any player by typing /chatlog <player name>. In this chatlog, you can see what the player has written in the past 30 minutes/1 hour. It will get automatically uploaded to a website and the link will get copied to the clipboard. There should come a message like "Chatlog created! Copied link to your clipboard!".
    Also, it should be created automatically if a player gets muted or banned for behaviour.

The chatlog will automatically delete itself after a certain time (like 2 weeks) so the space can be used smartly.
    To avoid spam, you won't be allowed to write the link to the chatlog into the chat (You could make an auto-filter plugin for this like you did for swearing).
    Instead of that, you report it here on the forums as normal and give the link.

---------------------------------------
    Pros and Cons:

Now you might think: "Nice idea, but that's what screenshots are made for!"

But if this gets implemented, after a certain time (because it'll take long) screenshots don't cpunt as valid proof anymore. Why?
    Chatlogs have a few advantages against screenshots:

Pros:
    - Screenshots are fakeable. The minecraft chat only consists of one font so a bit experience and/or a few tutorials mght already be enough to make a 99,99% realistic fakescreen.
    - Chatlogs are not fakeable because they are only "saving" what has been really written in the chat. Also, as they would automatically been made after someone gets muted or banned for behavior, no one can say: "I never wrote this!"/"This didn't happen!"

=> Impossible to fake or to pretend to not having done something

Cons:
    - Will take a lot of time and effort

Last words:

Some of you might come with the argument: "But staff can recognize face screens!!11!"
    I never said that the staff team isn't able to see anything, but in some cases, it might me almost impossible (even for the staff) to see that it's not real. Besides that, it'll still take the staff some work since they would only have to click the link to the chatlog.

Also, it is not easy to code a plugin like that. There will go much time until this would be finished (if this even gets implemented). But in my opinion, the mentioned advantages are worth it. I don't need to tell them again.

This took me about 20 minutes, I'd appreciate if you post constructive critic below this thread; I created a poll for this so you can vote. If you don't like any aspect, please write a comment and don't just vote.

Have a nice day!
    ~GeoGamerLP

2. Anesitas Server Admin Staff Member Server Admin

I'm a bit confused. The idea is not bad, the reason for it is faulty in my opinion though. Yet.. the hawk tool already does that. so why again?

Also, i'll add some additions (to my opinion) to your proc cons list.

3. GeoGamerLP Stone Miner DRC Veteran

It should be available for every player, not just staff team.

4. Anesitas Server Admin Staff Member Server Admin

But why? your reasoning for it is the reporting. A player reports the other player, and the staffmembers then go search for the actual conversation.

Like I said, like it is now, you can't see what other players said.

5. GeoGamerLP Stone Miner DRC Veteran

I can't say anything against your last post.

To the time the chatlogs take until they get deleted:

- This is just a suggestion; so are the "2 weeks". I didn't say you have to use the time, I said "like 2 weeks" so it was an example. You can shorten them to a few days or maybe just a day, I mean, it's the own decision of the players to report someone so if they are too lazy to make it in time, it's their fault.
    - After you've made a chatlog about someone, you need to ait a certain time until you can use this command again; if a player still spams it, you can ban him/her from using this command for a certain time.

And it is really impossible to save the responds?

6. milkacow Obsidian Miner DRC Veteran

Chatlogs are already there. Only staff can acces the logs.

Screenshots are enough proof, if the staff wants to know It's fake They'll go And look in their chatlogs.

7. FuturexPlayz DRC-VIP Gold Miner DRC Veteran

all need some privacy ... so I disagree with this idea!

8. KleineAap Gold Miner DRC Veteran

I would say you're ninja7

9. Airwin_ Server Moderator Staff Member Server Moderator

You dont need to post a screen on the forums to report someone who sweared. You can just make a ticket and the staff will check it and if needed ban him.

10. GeoGamerLP Stone Miner DRC Veteran

To defend myself: How should I know that you already have those items? I wouldn't have made the thread then.

11. milkacow Obsidian Miner DRC Veteran

You Dont have to defend yourself, you didnt do anything wrong.

12. Anesitas Server Admin Staff Member Server Admin

Like Milkacow said. Nobody is blaming you for making this suggestion, i'm sure that none of us meant it like that.
    Speaking for myself, now that you said that you did not know that we had it already, your topic makes a lot more sense.

But yeah, we already have a system like that. Great suggestion if we hadn't though!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Anesitas Server Admin Staff Member Server Admin

Topic closed now. Thanks again for the suggestion :)
    #topic closed
    #anesitas out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.