Welcome to our forum!

Do you want to become a member of our community? Join our forums now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Others' started by Flippylosaurus, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flippylosaurus Hunter DRC Player

Jan 24, 2016
    I was the person who started the first DRC WhatsApp conversation back in 2014 - it got killed quickly due to privacy issues. Even though I did state that you are sharing your phone number to other members, people ignored that and received not so very nice messages from other members. Hereby I'd like to propose a new chat.

My idea would be to use Telegram. I'll sum up the pros and cons.

- Phone numbers aren't shared between group members
    - Inline bots (if someone asks what something is you could type in @wiki [thing] to send a message with a snippet of the Wikipedia page)
    - A maximum of 200 members (even more with a supergroup)
    - Supergroups.
    These allow the group owner to add more members, give members permission to ban other members, create pinned messages (they will appear in the top of the screen. could be used for rules)
    - Cross-platform usage (you can use web.telegram.org to log in if you don't have a smartphone, for example)

- Still requires a phone number to sign up
    - Protocol is disputed for being closed

Let's just compare that to WhatsApp.

- Lots of people already have it
    - Calling

- Everyone in a group chat can see your phone number
    - Encryption is not audited
    - Owned by Facebook

If anyone has any ideas (for messaging platforms, etc), let me know. I plan to make 1 English chat and 1 Dutch chat.

I think this is useful for just some offtopic/slowchat and/or showing off ingame builds/items on the go.

(cc @JelleDRC)
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.