Welcome to our forum!

Do you want to become a member of our community? Join our forums now!

Register
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dracindo, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Which one do you think is overall better?

1. Laptop

2. Desktop

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dracindo Forum Lizard Staff Member Forum Moderator

I have my laptop for almost 5 years now (by this november), so I'm planning to buy a new one around Christmas (because lots of people can chip in, then ^.=.^). Now, there's still some time before that and I'm pretty sure my laptop will do fine for another 5 months, but I like to be prepared for when I start looking. I'd like to play certain high-quality games on recommended settings or even be able to just play them, and I want to be able to run Minecraft modpacks more smoothly. i.e.: I downloaded the BlightFall modpack on TechnicLauncher once and it required 2GB Ram, but it's lagged too much on my laptop when I changed that setting.

I will give more detailed specifications later, but for now, feel free to recommend PC's fitting the below list. Feel free to tell me what specs I would need, using the above example.

• Budget: €1000,00 --> Limit €1500,00
    • Minimum 800GB memory
    • Windows / Mac / Linux
    Furthermore, I like to start a discussion between Laptop and Desktop. Leave a vote in the poll on which one you think is better and comment why. I like to know all about the pros and cons. Right now, a laptop is usefull to take along, but I only do so when going to my girlfriend, and when we start living together, mobility is no longer a pro.

Next to the forum rules, these are some rules I like to point out:
    1. No Mac (and Linux) discussions.
      I've been using Windows for over 15 years, never used anything else, studied for it and now I do my work in a Windows-only environment. If I need a Mac for work, they'll get me one or I'll download an emulator, if possible.
      If you mention either one of them, your post will be edited / removed, whether you want to advertise it or compare it. Discuss about Laptop vs. Desktop instead.
    2. Respect other people's comments.
      Laptop A might be better than Laptop B, but use arguments in a polite/neutral manner, not "My pc is better, you know nothing!"
    Furthermore, feel free to recommend other items, like videocards or whatever. Please explain why and how much it costs.

I already thank all of you for your assistance. Feel free to ask questions if you need more details.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Kappaccino69 Hunter DRC Player

Well I got my new pc a few weeks ago for only 470 euros... running minecraft on 300 fps and got 1TB memory :) No need to spend 1000 euros buddy.

I say a computer btw, with the main point that you can easily build it yourself which will save you alot of money with having good specs.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JelleDRC Server Owner Staff Member Server Owner

Do NOT go for a laptop. Desktops are way cheaper and faster than any laptop anyone can suggest here.

As for a suggestion which "pc" you have to buy:
    That is something you have to decide by yourself. I'd suggest just ordering all the parts on afuture.nl and putting it together yourself, OR you can select that they put it together for you (for a bit more expensive).

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dracindo Forum Lizard Staff Member Forum Moderator

I know a good pc doesn't have to be this expensive, but let's say that's what I'm willing to pay to for a good pc.
    After all, when shopping in the same store, they're not going to sell a Windows XP box laptop for a higher price than a Windows 10 regular laptop. I'll be sure to compare ;)
    If I'll go for that, I'll have to call my techgeek nephew to take care of that. The whole "putting it together" thing is something I don't feel comfortable doing :sweatsmile:.

5. JelleDRC Server Owner Staff Member Server Owner

It's easier than you think it is :)
    But you can also go with their service and it'll still be cheaper than Mediamarkt or whatever other market you would go to.

6. Laurens/TheEmeraldChickn Diamond Miner DRC Veteran

Ofcourse desktops are better (and cheaper). But some people (like me) need a really powerfull laptop for school or work.
    @Dracindo, buy your laptop (or PC) in January, because its much cheaper then in December :3

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LegendaryBurrun Gold Miner DRC Veteran

@Dracindo building a pc isn't dificult. Just watch youtube and learn. Further i'm not a PC Hardware pro. Just don't go for a "Hand Made Pc" Otherwise you pay to much:blush:

8. Nobody4life Obsidian Miner Staff Member Forum Moderator

[​IMG]
    Strong build, not to expensive.

Order the parts on afuture.nl (prob the cheapest in Belgium and Netherlands). And for 60 euro extra they build it for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JelleDRC Server Owner Staff Member Server Owner

I don't think someone would need a high quality graphics card in a laptop, except if you're studying something like editing or design.
    AND even then, a GTX 970M (the laptop alternative) is by far not as powerful than a GTX 970 for example.

@Dracindo Whatever you do, go for something that boots on an SSD and NOT on a HDD, or I will find you and I will slay you.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Boins Gold Miner DRC Veteran

First he'll need to decide if he wants to overclock, then you can chose a motherboard & processor by that choise.

Desktop is better then a laptop, unless you want to carry a 10kg laptop everywhere and stare at a small 19" screen.

Tweakers.net could help you a lot,

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  11. luukgamekanaal Redstone Miner DRC Veteran

I have a PC game bought three months ago for 550 i can run Gta 5 fallout 4 and more games and a PC is much better than a laptop you get more value for your money.
    --- This message was merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    but for work is a laptop much better than a pc.. but for your budget you can have a REALLY good PC .

12. Laurens/TheEmeraldChickn Diamond Miner DRC Veteran

Guess what I gonna study this year :p.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Dracindo Forum Lizard Staff Member Forum Moderator

Okay, so my guess was pretty much right: The only reason why I should take a laptop, is if I take it to places. However, since that's hardly going to happen once I move out, there's no reason to deny a desktop. Plus, I will always a laptop for work.

@Nobody4life , assuming I buy the setup you listed, What kind of games will I be able to smoothly play on recommended settings? Can you give me a few examples?
    I'm actually planning to buy it way sooner: My universal charger recently died (in less than 6 months, WTF!) and I fear that I can't get a new one, since I'm unable to find the receipt or ordernumber. :cryingcat:
    My girlfriend gave me a "repaired" charger which I'm currently using. It charges, but the fact that a nice long line of ductape was used worries me. :fearful: It's also not going to last for months either.

14. drdoct Lapis Lazuli Miner DRC Veteran

I would get a good gaming desktop and a decent reader laptop. Start with the desktop though and for godsakes, don't go and buy one off the shelf. You won't get near what you will building it. Here's my setup. My graphic's cards are older but do a pretty decent job on everything in crossfire mode. But I had them already in 2 different machines and so I used for now. If I was building a machine I would get the best card I could (single card) and it wouldn't be a radeon.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nszMvV
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nszMvV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM 64-bit
    Monitor: AOC E2425SWD 24.0" 60Hz Monitor

I only overclock to 4.6ghz and the 212evo actually keeps it nice and cool even at full load for hrs.

15. KostasTheGrand2!!! Newbie DRC Player

desctop is very very good

16. Nobody4life Obsidian Miner Staff Member Forum Moderator

I think the real question is: What you are not going to be able to run.
    All current game should run on highest settings easy on that.

17. Bruqaj Iron Miner DRC Veteran

Your build is lacking a CPU cooler and case. The Founder's Edition performs worse than board partner cards.
    Also 550W PSU might be too weak, other than that, your build is perfect.

Build:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nobody4life Obsidian Miner Staff Member Forum Moderator

I'm not gonna choose a case for someone. And the basic cpu cooler is more than enough if you are not going to overclock (what prob so is).
    The build uses 307 W but 373W is recommend. So 550W is more then enough even with an extra cooler.
    The founder edition is indeed not the best but the difference is pretty small (but existing).

19. drdoct Lapis Lazuli Miner DRC Veteran

One warning, I had a horrible time setting up a skylake version processor and ended up taking it back. When I installed my hacked windows 7 it kept losing the usb support. Then after buying a cheap ps2 mouse and keyboard to get through the installation, all pointers and keyboards quit period. Oddest problem ever but one a LOT of people have had and I swear I even kicked the crap out of the build just because it was so frustrating. Installed the previous gen with zero problems.

20. Dracindo Forum Lizard Staff Member Forum Moderator

A big thanks to everyone who has responded and given me a better view of how to proceed in the future.

Now I just noticed 2 people voted for laptop to be overall better. Could they please explain why. Why would a laptop be better than a desktop? Please use arguments other than "You can take it with you everywhere", as that is currently the only thing a laptop is better at.
    If you don't want to be the one guy facing a majority of people who might flame at you, please answer in a conversation with me. I really like to know why you think a laptop is overall better than a desktop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.