Welcome to our forum!

Do you want to become a member of our community? Join our forums now!

Register
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Others' started by SwekSenpaiPRO, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwekSenpaiPRO Diamond Miner DRC Veteran

Hey guys,

first of all to mention: i'm not advertising for my own server, i just had the idea to build a pc to run one 24/7 at my own home for some friends of mine outside DRC.

So, i already searched on some forums and there they said you don't really need server specific hardware, like an intel Xeon which costs 1000+ euros etc; they said an AMD fx-8320 (or something in that way) would be find with 8/16gb of ram and a ssd for the server itself.

Now i'm asking for your own opinion but please, don't answer stupid stuff like Mac is better than Windows or that kind of stupid things. So, only answer if you know what you are talking about :)

My budget's: as low as possible

Thanks in advance,
    -SwekGamerPRO

2. JelleDRC Server Owner Staff Member Server Owner

Lel... WHO else could answer better than the seagull himself I'll reply when I'm more awake, in one hour or so.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. drdoct Lapis Lazuli Miner DRC Veteran

I'll add my .02 in. The AMD 8cores are under performers. They run really hot and so take quite a bit of cooling. I started with a 9590 which is the top of the line massive chip. But the chip was really unstable. I could over clock a hair, like 5% but couldn't cool it enough with a single radiator. I quickly sold that and went to the 8320e. It's supposed to be the low power model but still takes a lot of energy to cool it. That was the computer I built for my kids and when it's on it's loud since it takes a lot of air going through it to cool (and that's with water cooling the processor). It also heats up the room during summer. I regret ever going the AMD route.

Most of the intel I5's are close in price now and run circles around what AMD is putting out. Not just in performance, but in heat. I've built some small servers just tinkering around to learn how to do things (Call it educating). I've had 10 connections and noticed no lag at all. In fact, my processor which is an i5-4460 barely gets above 30% with everyone playing AND me doing things locally. I think you'd be fine on any modern processor (the amd or i5 or higher) playing 10-15 people. Of course it also depends on if you are just running a survival world, or trying to run multiple servers off one machine. I have zero experience with the multiple worlds (like drc). You could also consider running 1.7 variant and use even less processor since 1.8 hogs cpu a bit more. It also depends on how many plugins you are running and if you are running mods in forge server. Everything adds processing. I'd play around on whatever you play on now and see what you've got. I do suggest you don't play locally on it while you're hosting because that does 2x on the cpu at times.

I have to add this, not to you because I know you know this, but to others reading this.
    If you are caught advertising your server or any server's ip, you will be permanently ipbanned. We take this very seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AlbionTje Diamond Miner DRC Veteran

Pfff how much time do u need to wake up ?

Verstuurd van mijn Samsung s3 Neo

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. JelleDRC Server Owner Staff Member Server Owner

Seems like someone has a serious problem with his brain.

So yeah, here's my recommendation.
    1. Do NOT host anything at home. If anyone get's mad at you they'll DDoS you down. Don't trust anyone, even if they are your friends.
    If they hack your server they might even be able to sniff your home network.

2. The costs to build such a machine is too much to even consider, not even speaking about the internet speed you'd need and the electricity costs.

3. If it's just for some friends, put some money together and hire a small VPS. You don't need 8 RAM to run a minecraft server, if you think you do you have to buy a dedicated server.

4. Use Linux instead of Windows.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. drdoct Lapis Lazuli Miner DRC Veteran

Definitely what Jelle said about not trusting people. I only did with family members. And if they tried anything I'd handle it internally :@.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.